Saturday, August 21, 2004

 

The Corrections by Jonathan Frantzen

The Corrections is a long 567 pages. It took me most of two weeks to wade through. Parts, generally the characters, are interesting and engaging but they are strung together with a stodgy glue that brings depression flooding through the pages swallowing the characters in a dark mud. Slog through the mud for a glimpse at the lives of a chef, a woman struggling to become a caretaker to her overwhelming husband, the loss of control often attached to aging, and the way that lack of life focus can open many doors (and not all of the doors open into positive life changes).

I have to keep reminding myself of the bright spots in The Corrections because otherwise I wonder why I kept reading after the first three pages.

I'm not recommending this one. I'm not sure how to get rid of it. Will I actually throw a book into the trash?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?