Thursday, March 31, 2005

 

Alphabet of Thorns by Patricia A. McKillip

Alphabet of Thorn tells a complex story that boils down to a basic question of parental love.

Nepenthe is an orphan who has been brought up in the royal library and whose talent and job is deciphering mysterious alphabets. As the story begins, she is working on a book written completely in clusters of small fish, each with its own meaning. A book comes to Nepenthe which she is meant to pass on to the master librarians; instead she keeps the book and tries to figure out the complicated alphabet of brambles and thorns. The book seems to reveal a set of stories about a long ago king and his mage but strange things are happening around Nepenthe.

(shrug) I felt like I should like this book and story more than I did and I'm not sure why I didn't fall into the story. Some books are like that.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?