Thursday, March 31, 2005

 

The Young Merlin Trilogy by Jane Yolen

This slim
volume contains the three stories Passager, Hobby, and Merlin about a young abandoned boy who become the wizard mage Merlin. An admittedly vocacious reader who is 9 years old read this book in two days and it took me 2-3 hours of sitting around and waiting time.

Jane Yolen does her usual wonderful job of story telling. The characters are real, the dirt and thorns have an impact, and the stories flow into each other. The mysteries of Merlin are not revealed but the impact of those mysteries on his daily life are explored.

Two thumbs up. Several third graders swarmed over this book and they were fighting over it when I left. It was equally appealing to boys and girls. I also recommend Boots and the Seven Leaguers by Jane Yolen. I think I read it before I started this blog but it is a great book which generated a lot of excitement in a 1-3rd grade classroom among both boys and girls.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?