Friday, April 15, 2005

 

Girl in a Cage by Jane Yolen and Robert Harris

Girl in a Cage is historical fiction of a very fine kind. I remember the first time I read Johnny Tremain; I was so much a part of the story that I felt like I was Johnny (despite the gender difference). I was proud, I despaired, I hoped. I really freaked out my teacher as I sobbed at the back of the class because my future as a silversmith was lost. Girl in a Cage was like that for me.

Marjorie Bruce is the king's daughter. The problem is that not all of Scotland acknowledges her father as king and King Edward of England certainly sees Robert Bruce as a traitor and pretneder to the throne. As Robert Bruce marshalls his small but determined band of supporters, King Edward sets upon Bruce's family and captures Marjorie, her stepmother, and Aunts. Marjorie is separated and kept in a cage in a small village in England. This is not how she expected Princess life to be. Edward visits her to taunt her and villagers throw food and rocks at her. 11 year old MArjorie is very human and swings from worrying about her Father and stepmother to fretting about her lack of beautiful clothing (and warmth, food, and privacy). She determines that the Princessy thing to do will be to defy King Edward until one of them is dead.

This book makes clear the complicated way that Scotland and England were intertwined. I also recommend The Queen's Own Fool.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?