Sunday, April 17, 2005

 

Sister Light, Sister Dark and White Jenna by Jane Yolen

I remember reading Sister Light, Sister Dark and White Jenna when they first came out way back in the late 1980's. I was out of college but reading young adult fiction voraciously. Yes, I read almost everything voraciously but I didn't really have access to modern YA books when I was growing up. We rarely bought books from major bookstores though my family frequented a book exchange several times a year. I always had access to private libraries (I never went to a public library until I was in college) but they were limited by their focus. Several of the libraries belonged to private christian schools and in one there was no science fiction or fantasy other than Tolkein and C.S. Lewis. The books were more reliable for research than for fun reading.

Anyway, I loved Light Sister, Dark Sister and the year of waiting for White Jenna seemed impassable. Rereading these books I felt less of the thrill and some chafing at the structure of Myth, Legend, History, Story. I did find the differences in the tellings interesting and let my mind follow how these differences could happen but I felt like they broke the story into less flowing parts.

They are complicated books to try to summarize. The worshippers of Alta are set apart communities of women. They practice religion and life that follow the sayings of Great Alta and their warriors are well known and respected. One of their great secrets is their practice of calling shadow sisters from a mirror to join them in this world. Jenna seems to fulfill an ancient prophecy through her unusual birth and mothers but she and her hame leader are not sure and ask for greater signs. When Jenna and her friend unknowingly become tangled in political intrigue, the fury of the reigning king and his 4 lords are brought against the communities of women. Whether or not she wasnts to be involved, Jenna is central to both the beginning and the end. Priestesses keep reminging everyone to read the prophecies "on the slant".

An added bonus for those of you who are musically inclined, each book has the words and music for the songs in the story.

I recommend this book, I guess to people in 5th grade through high school.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?