Thursday, May 05, 2005

 

The Meq by Steve Cash

Small world coincidence: On Saturday we went shopping at a used CD store and an independent bookstore. At the cd store my partner bought a cd by the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. a friend had recommended the group; at the bookstore I bought The Meq by Steve Cash. It turns out that Steve Cash is a founding member of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils.

I enjoyed The Meq until about 3/4s of the way through when I realized that the story would not end in this book. I don't like it when books are not complete in themselves and when I realize that there is no way that the plot twists and conundrums will be complete in the present book, my interest lags. Why should I race through when I will have to wait, perhaps even years, for the completion of the story?

The Meq are interesting people. When they turn 12 they stop developing physically until such time as they meet their life mate and decide to move on together into adulthood. The Meq have been all over the world for centuries but seem to have originated in Spain. The Meq heal quickly from almost all wounds and some Meq carry special stones which convey powers. Z finds out that he is Meq when his parents die in a tragic accident when he is 12. Finding out who and what he is and looking into the mysteries of the Meq and their enemies takes decades but the Meq have time.

I found the name dropping in this book annoying. That Z might meet one or two famous people of that time is not unusual but the large number of names and people broke the flow and reduced the believability of the story.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?