Monday, May 16, 2005

 

Sticks and Scones by Diane Mott Davidson

Serendipitously Sticks and Scones is the next book in the series after The Grilling Season which I read last November. The thrift store is wonderful the way it pops books up to me in appropriate sequence!

I'm interested enough to pay 80 cents for one of these books and then I'll read it but I don't really enjoy them. They are unsatisfying to me perhaps because I don't like Goldy. I don't feel sorry for her, I don't worry about her, I don't care if someone shoots out her window, and I think she must take responsibility for her own safety when she makes the decision to investigate criminal activity on her own.

(grumble, grumble)

Goldy's husband is out of town tracking down a source/suspect in a stamp highjacking when someone takes a shot at Goldy's window. Taking refuge in the castle where she is soon to cater several English meals, Goldy stumbles on a dead body (surprise! the suspect) and she and her husband are shot at. Goldy's abusive ex-husband is featured. Sprinkled throughout the story of ghosts, fraud, fencing, and hyperclean Swiss are some recipes. I made the scones and they were fine though not as buttery as my usual recipe.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?