Sunday, January 23, 2011

 

Grim Tuesday by Garth Nix

I like Garth Nix's books. I have many on my shelves and read them over again every year. Grim Tuesday and the first book of the week series Mister Monday will not join the others on my shelves. Mister Monday was interesting, I like the idea of a will broken into pieces still trying to exert itself (oh, the wordplay was wonderful!). I felt a little let down by Mister Monday, as if it could have been MORE somehow, but I was intrigued and hopeful enough to buy and read book 2. Eh. Again the wordplay was wonderful but it moved slowly for me and I really don't like the Arthur much. The villainous Grim Tuesday was sympathetic in his flaw - I feel for him because his flaw is in how he was made (he can't help that) and the villainy comes from trying to reach beyond his limits (I applaud that) and failing in spectacular ways (don't we all?) - that hurts a body and makes him or her mean but Tuesday keeps trying. While Arthur seems horrified by the inhumanity of the Days, I kept seeing the struggle to survive as highly human and not worthy of destruction. I read one review of the books that claimed Garth Nix can't end a book. I don't agree with that opinion. I think he wraps each book up very well just not in convenient ways.

At the end, I had no desire to read further in the series or to reread these two books. I will read Garth Nix books again and look forward to other books and series.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?