Sunday, March 20, 2005

 

Sometimes I get stuck in a book

Sometimes I get stuck because I don't get drawn into the story and so I pick the book up, read a few pages, and then put it down; I don't care about the characters because I haven't gotten to know them. Sometimes I get stuck in the middle where even after I know the characters I don't care about them or the plot is squoshing in some sloggy place and not moving and I get bored and put the book down. Sometimes I pick these books up again and become drawn into the story, sometimes I whip through loving every page and sometimes I slog through although I rarely truely abandon a book (though I did abandon
American Psycho. My friend thinks life is to short for finishing so-so books but I'm more lenient.

All this to say that I've been bogged down in not one but three books at the same time. I can bend enough to allow that some of the sticking may come from my congestion but really there are just three difficult books. One has a lovely story but I get bogged down in the literary criticism that is part of the whole; I do plan to finish and blog this book but the other two are teetering on the edge of expulsion. As a remedy and enticement, I have ordered three new books and I can't wait to start reading them.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?